Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tempoooo......Tuesdeeeee

Less then 3 weeks away, and still feel good. Ran a 4 mile tempo run today and all systems go. I don't know why, but when I start thinking about the marathon, I get nervous. It's not like I'm going to win the stupid thing. Not even my age group, or even qualify for Boston.

If this makes me nervous, I wonder what is going through the head of people who really have a chance at this thing. I will have about 2 years of running in, when race day comes, some of these guys have done a life time of training. They go mostly unnoticed in the sports world.

The winner of the Disney Marathon will run it in about 2 hours and 20 min. Do the math, thats a 5 min. 18 sec. pace.! Now, I can't run 1 mile in 5:18 and these guys do it for 26.2 miles. Try it, mark off a mile, warm yourself up real good, and take off. When you stop and catch your breath, just think of doing that for 26.2 miles. My best mile is 6:15 and there is no way I could do 2 miles at that pace let alone 26.2.
Some of these athletes make a good living doing this, but not to the level of a major league baseball player or other pro sports.

I know running is a boring sport too watch, and ratings are what drives the sports media. The two things that are more boring too watch, but seem to have ratings are fishing tournaments and poker, go figure I guess people who sit around doing nothing like too watch other people sit around and do nothing. But I digress.

These runners are gifted, but you don't run a 2:20 marathon without hard work, dedication, and lots of pain. They live in a world few will know. While we all take our training seriously, and It's just as important to us too run a 4 hour marathon as for them too run a sub 2:15. They deserve the recognition of doing what most of us can only dream about.

This post was for the elite runners, all us middle of the packers can say when they cross the finish line and we're not even halfway through is "WOW"! We sort of know what it takes, but not really....We have know idea.
Tip of the cap to you guys, I like the cut of your jib.

what makes marathons so great is we run the same course the elites run, at the same time they are running, so are we. It's the only sport like that. Imagine going over too One Buc Place and signing up too play for the Buccaneers this weekend. Do you know what they would say! O.k bad example, you would probably be the starting Q,B.
But you get my drift.




"To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
Steve Prefontaine

No comments: