Thursday, December 21, 2006

Speed Kills

Speed work is like paying taxes, you hate to do it, but you have too. Well I guess you don't have too. All the experts say the key too running a good marathon, is the dreaded interval training.
It's something I don't look forward to doing, but when it's over I think it's really not that bad.
Tonight for example I will run 7- 800 meters, thats twice around the track seven times.
With about a 1/2 lap recovery between runs. It's the pace that kills me, I try to keep them at about 3:15 per 800, but that becomes difficult as you progress.

When I'm running, and my lungs are burning, legs are hurting Negative Ron pops up and says "why are you doing this." I tune him out, just thinking foot turnover, foot turnover, foot turnover. See thats a little trick I came up with. I try to not let my body know what it's doing. You would be surprised what you can do by focusing your attention too one thing. when everything is falling apart around you, just focus.

Now thats also a good way to get injured, you have to listen to your body as well, and sort through all the Ron's in your head. Because if your running, concentrating on foot turnover, and Ego Ron shouts "lets go boy, do this last one in 3:00." you could find yourself on the shelf for the next two weeks.

On the other hand, you might be able to push it a little harder. Thats the fine line you have to run in, and let Common Sense Ron decipher between the two.

This is the only time I don't run with an Ipod, It's where I can get into the mental part of running, and practice how to listen to my body, but tune it out as well. I knew that sounds weird, but it works for me.




-----"Don't do anything stupid during your taper"
-------------------------------- Common Sense Ron

No comments: