Monday, December 4, 2006

The conversations of a long run

When I run, I take my ipod and try to focus on my running. I know that sounds strange, but with U 2 ( a rock band ) at full volume I can concentrate.
Even with that going on 4 guys start talking to me. Let me introduce you to them.

Positive Ron, I will refer to him from now on as +RON, +Ron is up beat, always encouraging, when something goes wrong he looks on the bright side.

Negative Ron, I will refer to him as - Ron, -Ron is never up beat, sees bad at every turn, when something goes wrong will say I told you so.

Ego Ron, he's superman nothing gets in his way. Run 10 miles, he wants to know why you didn't run 11. Or your pace is to slow

Common sense Ron, I'll call him csRon. You know what he is about, and I rarely listen to him.

I'll take you on a recent 18 mile run I had with them.

O.K. it's 6:30 am got my ipod ready, all warmed up lets go.

+Ron, this is a nice morning for a run, little cold but I'll warm up.
-Ron, I bet Disney going to be a lot colder, and windy.
+Ron, your here already?
-Ron. I'm always here, and that left knee is feeling funny.
+Ron, you know it takes a good mile to get things flowing.
Mile 1, right on pace.

+Ron, see I knew I would feel better once I got going.
Ego Ron, yeah! forget 18 miles we're going to run 20.
csRON, No. No. No. we're going to run 18 unless my calf starts to hurt, then we're going to shut it down. You are not going to do anything thats going to mess you up for Disney!
Ego Ron, mess you up? if you don't get this in it will really mess you up, your longest run to date is 17 miles, you don't have time to take off.
+Ron, look guys, everything alright now, will see, if something happens it will be o.k.
-Ron, what do you know, ever run a marathon boy!
+Ron, no, but I've read that
-Ron, yeah, I know you read, thats all you do is read. " I read this, I read that bla, bla, bla".
Ego Ron, if you stop reading and start running you might........
-Ron, hey guys, this right calf is starting to hurt.
mile 4

-Ron, 4 miles and your done, Disney done, running done everyth....
+Ron, stop! It's not done, it's just a little sore right now, let's try to run through it.
Ego Ron, you tell them +Ron he'll listen to you. WE'RE GOING TO RUN RIGHT THROUGH IT!
csRon, I hate to say this but -Ron is right that calf is sore, I don't know if this is something we should do. run a little bit more it might loosen up, but do me a favor my house is coming up just past 5 miles. stop and stretch it out .

All Ron's, but Ego Ron, O.K.
In front of my house after 5 miles

+Ron, that was a good stretch, I think it did some good.
csRon, yeah that was the right thing to do.
-Ron, you know if you stretch a pulled muscle you will make it worse.

Ego Ron, I ain't saying nothing, you've screwed up your pace with that girly stretch.

Mile 7
+Ron, ya know I think It's a little better.
Ego Ron, I know It's better we're doing the whole 18 baby! back on track.
mile 9
-Ron, oh Ron.
+Ron, go away.
Ego Ron, yeah go away
-Ron, you know what you're doing don't you. as you are running listening to Meat Loaf ( rock band) your calf muscle is being ripped from your bone, if you don't stop now, I see major surgery at least 6 months of no running. ah ah no marathon for you.
mile 10
-Ron, why are you still running?
Ego Ron, I have to get this 18 miler in.
csRon, let me step in here, your not ripping anything from the bone, but it is getting bad. you can stop and walk it home get it looked at by a professional. most you will miss is maybe a week, you are a fast healer the last time something like this happened, you saw your p.t. you missed what. a week? he had you up and going...........
mile 12


-Ron. thats it I'm done, why am I doing this. If I don't make this marathon I don't care! my calf is killing me. I am NEVER RUNNING AGAIN! IF I do make it to a marathon I will never do another one
+Ron, I got nothing.
csRon. me too.
Mile 13

Ego Ron, don't look at me I can't even walk. Your such a wimp.

All in favor of stopping say, I

Ron's all at once, I


Funny how running works, that was 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I ran a 20 miler with no calf pain.

-Ron, yeah, but what about that left knee?

Here we go again, see it never ends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is sexy Ron?

Ella

Ron said...

He died some 20 years ago