Saturday, March 3, 2007

Strawberry Classic 5k


First let me thank all the good runners that chose not to run in this race. By sitting this one out it allowed me to place 3rd in my age group.

Yes I'm happy with the outcome, but I think the field was weak... I ran a 21:28 and that is more like a 5th or 6th place time when the competition is a little more stiff.

My 5k goal is to run it in 19:59, so I need to shave almost a full 1:30 off my time. I'm beginning to realized that's a tall order.

A year ago I ran a 24:05 (5k) or a 7:45 pace.... Today my pace was 6:54, if I'm going to reach my goal I will need a lot of speed work and about 3 more years of training....

Problem is, by that time I will be 3 years older and a lot more beat-up.... My mind is up for the challenge (ego)... But my body is saying something else (common sense)... I still need a plan... right now I'm going to continue to run until the wheels fall off or I die, which ever comes first.

Other then that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?
Well it was a good day, my brother runrandall ran his best 5k... He made his goal of running it in less then 30:00 a remarkable accomplishment considering what his diet is right now... To be honest with you I don't know where he gets his energy. If I could have his discipline I might just run that 6:25 pace.

To make a long story short, thanks for the cake it had to be hard not getting a piece for yourself. (and it was gooood)

Also my nephew Ben ran with us and the rascal came in 3rd in his age group (25-30) not bad for a first timer, he gets the runron gold star for his effort. Well played Ben, great job, but next time try not to leave your breakfast between the 2nd and 3rd mile. (I'll leave it at that)

So what have we learned about today? Running a 6:25 pace, not likely to happen.... runrandall well on his way of beating me...... Cake goooood....... Don't eat, unless you want to see it again.

That's it in a nut shell.
See ya on the road, runron.

2 comments:

Runrandall said...

Great blog. Thanks for the kudos. I now have my sights on a 9.00 pace for a 5K. I don't think I'm to far from that. Just need some of that speed work I've missed the last two weeks. Check my blog to see what crazy thing I did today.
Runrandall

Anonymous said...

congratulations runron
Unrunric