Thursday, March 8, 2007

A New Gear

I needed a plan... And I think I've found one.
This running thing is still kinda new to me, I've been doing this for over a year and to be honest, I thought I would be sick of it by now..... Just when I think I can't possibly run any faster, something clicks and that 8:30 ten mile pace becomes an easy run.

I did a 6 mile tempo run Tuesday at an 8:08 pace and I thought I could run forever, it was effortless... This is something I'm not familiar with.... well maybe a little, my Gasparilla run was like that, but I thought it was a fluke.

What I have found is another gear... One that I didn't know I had. A faster pace actually feels better then a slower one. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this running thing.... The plan I've come up with is the Furman First 5k plan. It calls for a lot of tempo runs and speed work at the track. Which I'm starting to enjoy (I know I'm sick).
I'll do this through the spring to go along with my 5k races and then start adding longer runs to build up my base before marathon training starts in July.

You never know, that 19:59 5k time might be reachable. If I never run that time it won't be from lack of effort.

I guess that's the beauty of running, there is always a goal to conquer and a race to run... Kinda like life.

See ya on the road, (or track, Tim) runron

No comments: