Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Nemesis

Look, I know running is not about winning... We do it for our health... We try to improve against our own time... It keeps middle age guys like me out of trouble... There are all kinds of reasons to run... I just found one more...

Every sport needs a rival, a foe, an arch enemy. Someone that is better then you, but with hard work you think you can be their equal.
I don't wish ill will on my nemesis... I want him to run his best, to beat him when he's not on top of his game would take the joy out of running down the enemy.

I've thought long and hard about picking my combatant. He would have to be in my age group, run a 5k about a minute and a half faster then me. He would also have to run in most of the races I run and be a little cocky about his running prowess.

There are several guys I know that fit this bill... But one stands out as "the guy"... We all know the type of guy I'm talking about... And it does not apply to only running... He's the guy that takes himself too seriously... I picture this guy at work getting bent out of shape if someone took a paper clip off his desk and then runs to tell the boss that someone is stealing his stuff...Or maybe he made a big sale then struts around the office like a rooster...

None of these guys know about this blog, but to keep it safe I'll call him "Eddie".
Eddie is a very talented runner. He has probably been running for years, but he needs to be ran down... And I'm the guy that's going to do it... It may take awhile, but I'm pretty determined when I put something in my cross-hairs.

Here is the beauty of my plan. Eddie has no clue, I don't think he even knows my name (yet, he will). Like all hunters I know my prey... The Internet is a wonderful tool to find out race results. I know all the races he's been in, his times, his pace, what place he finished. Before this is over I will know what he eats for breakfast..

Before you think I'm a stalker, let me say I'm not... This is just my way of getting the best out of my running... But it's also fun, I need something like this to get me to the next level... If I can make "Eddie" the focus of my training, I know I will get better... I'm sure Eddie is a nice guy, I've only had a passing conversation with him a few times, but for now he is my "Darth Vader" and the force will be with me when that day comes.

This may take years, I don't know... If Eddie quits running (not likely) or moves out of town, there will always be an "Eddie" and I'll find him.

Who knows I might be someones "Eddie" and that's O.k. I just hope they don't think I'm as cocky as my "Eddie". There is something about him that rubs me the wrong way and I don't think I'm alone with that thought.

I don't know how many races we will be in this year. He has sat a few out because he is getting ready for Boston... Yes, he's a Boston qualifier (if you stand within 10 feet of him, you know that).... Starting to hate him aren't ya?
But we will race down the road, I'm not going anywhere, and I'm sure "Eddie" is not either. I know how to find him.

Until then I will be in the tall grass, honing my skills... Waiting... Waiting... Then pounce on my prey like a puma in the wild.

Running is starting to get interesting again, just when I thought I was getting into a rut... Along comes Eddie, thanks "Eddie"

Next week I will be running in the Bay To Bay Classic 12k. I don't know if Eddie will be there, but I'll find out... To be continued.

See ya on the road (lets go "Eddie") runron.

2 comments:

Runrandall said...

Ah Eddie I know him well and some day he will be my Eddie too. But for now your mt Maynard who is a lot nicer than Eddie and even helps me run better and faster so that one day I might catch you.
Thanks Maynard
And no you not cocky
I just need a goal.

Anonymous said...

You're full of crap little man.
Eddie G