Sunday, February 11, 2007

What A Year

This Saturday will mark a year of competitive racing... well not competitive, but a year of lining up with a number on my chest.
Somethings that I have learned along the way.

Five miles used to be a long run...Now I can run 26.2 miles without losing my breath.
I have willed myself to do things that I thought were impossible. I'm am forever battling the Ego Ron.

Ego is a dangerous drug. Taken in small dosages it can heal your insecurities as a runner, writer, or whatever your passion might be.
If you grab a handful and wash it down with a glass of self-importance, the overdose will leave you on the trash heap of wasted ability crying for your mommy.

Other things I have learned on my ride.
Shave around your nipples or the most painful thing about a long run is the hair being riped from your bird chest when you yank the tape off.

There are no easy runs...until you put it down in your log book and say "Wow".

You can take a day and eat everything in sight... Then go back and eat some more... And not gain a pound.

Other runners go out of their way to be helpful and are always cheering for you even thou you are not as gifted as they are.

I look ridicules in my photos when I cross the finish line.

Injuries are part of the sport... shut-up and deal with them.

I guess the most important thing I have learned, is not to take running so seriously. Nobody cares if you run a 6 min. mile or a 15 min. mile. My running will not change the world, nether will this blog. Yes I do love to run, and I do love to... (check that) I do like to... (no wait) I tolerate writing blogs, because I feel doing both things make me a better person.

The above were thoughts I had this morning while running a practice 15k (9.3 miles).

The run was a time of reflection and giving thanks for this wonderful journey I've been on over the past year.

I look forward to the coming year. My hope is that I can have a few P.R.'S and learn more about things that I have only scratched on the surface.
If you can put up with bad grammar and boring tells of the road, maybe this blog will be entertaining as well.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Life would be simple if we could wrap problems up in a 30 min. sitcom or 24 hours (like Jack Bauer). Who ever said "Life is not fair" needs to look around because it can always get worse.

See ya on the road, runron....


One more thing to my thousand of readers. I've been playing around with this blog thing. I don't know if I like the spinning pictures on the top of the page. It might look a little out of place.
I do like the countdown to races (thanks Jason)
I also have a visit counter, so I'll no if anybody reads this dribble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron...to keep your sanity going wanted to let you know I enjoy reading your blog. I've been doing a little running to stay or "get" in shape. Maybe a 5k or 10k with you this year...BUT at my pace.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Ron do have a word on contrary wind.

Runrandall