Sunday, February 25, 2007

This Gu's For You

I guess I'm what you call a "middle of the pack" runner. I've written in the past about the elites in our sport. Now let me address the runners behind me.

Running in the middle gives me the opportunity to see both ends. Most races are out and back, like the Gasparilla 15k. Running down Bayshore Blvd. then turning around and heading back. The first runners you will see coming back your way are the gifted. They glide at an effortless pace or so it seems (I wouldn't know). They are totally focused on the rhythm of their bodies, but void smiles. There is no smiling when you are trying to win. Their goal is much different then the runners behind me.

Yes I said runners, if you commit yourself to train, give it all you have and never quit then you are a runner. I don't care what your pace may be. You can't put dedication on a watch.

I had the opportunity to witness this when I crossed the finish line last Saturday. I made my way down the race course to see other runners coming in. As the time on the clock grew higher the smiles got wider.
The runners in the back had a sense of accomplishment, all their hard work was paying off for them. I bet if you ask half of them a year ago, if they could run 9.3 miles they would have probably said "you mean in one day"

Finishing a 15k has as much meaning to them as it does to the ones who win. Because they have won.
They fought the demons and won. Someone at work may have told them they couldn't do it. why are they even trying. At times they may have felt like giving up, but they carried on.
You can almost see the stories from their expressions when they are getting close to the finish line.

I sometimes wonder if it took the gifted 6 or 8 hours to run a marathon would they go through the training to run such an event?
Our sport is not the most popular one in the world. We need runners with all talent levels because all runners have a story... A story being told on the roads and races through out the world. I would be willing to bet that the runners in the"back" have a more interesting story to tell then the ones out front.

I know we all have egos and we all want to win, but lets not forget without the "back of the packers" we may not have a race to go to.

I don't want you to think I'm bitter about the front runners. They run a race I'm not familiar with. I just want them to know that they are not the only ones on the road.
I think a lot of them know, I see them out there cheering for us when we come in and we thank you, it means a lot.

To the runners behind me, you are an inspiration and you are way ahead of those that didn't start. Your hard work does not go unnoticed, keep smiling and never be ashamed to call yourself a runner.

This Gu's for you.
(to non-runners Gu is a energy gel that you take during long runs)


Thats my view from the middle
See ya on the road, runron



No comments: