Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Prediction Timeeeee....

It is 7:30 pm on Tuesday night and I just saw the weather forecast for Saturday's race.

Most runners would be thrilled to hear that the temp. will be in the high 30's... I'm not one of those runners.
But then again I complained that the Disney Marathon was too hot... Why can't I find a race that is 65 and a little cloud cover? I will probably ramble about this topic on another post in the future. (like after a long run in July) Now on with the blog.

Last year, to be honest with you, I was just happy to finish. I thought I ran a respectable 1:32:50. Ego Ron laughed and laughed at that. After picking himself off the floor, he reminded me about the 70 year old man that passed me near the finish line... (ya but he was a young 70 year old guy)

Okay Ego Ron this is for you. Not only am I going to beat last years time.... I'm going to kick the door open. I will run the 15k in 1:14:59 and knock any old man (or woman) in my way down the cold roads of Bayshore Blvd. leaving them trembling in the wake of runron.

Now that Ego has been addressed, let common sense say this. A 1:14:59 is doable if everything goes as planed. Who can say what will happen. Beating last years time should not be a problem... Heck, I've ran a 10 mile training run faster then that time... But to run it in 1:14:59 will take a 8:02 pace. At this point in my running life, that pace for that distance is right on the edge for me. Go out too slow and I'm screwed.... Go out too fast and the 90 year olds will be passing me at the end.

If I can place in the top 100 of my age group it will be a good day... If I just cross the finish line it will be a great day. Isn't that what it is really all about? Finish the task at hand. Anything above that is a bonus.

Ya know some people say perception is reality... The perception of running 26.2 miles or even 9.3 miles is impossible to some... But the reality of it comes down to your mindset... Which got me to thinking the other day (usually that's when I get into trouble) A year ago my mind could not grasp a marathon, I was lucky to run 5 miles... 5 miles is a tempo run now.
So let me say this (I can't believe I going to write this) I'm thinking about ultra-marathon. 100 miles isn't that far, right?... Remember perception.

That's all I got... Can't never could and won't never will...
See ya on the road, runron

No comments: