Friday, February 23, 2007

Eat the Bear

Well my big races are done for the year and it's only February. For the past six months all I thought about was the marathon and Gasparilla. I feel a little lost without something to work for. I am planing on doing a lot of 5k's this spring, but there is no feeling like a big race.

Keeping my focus on speed work is the key to having a good 5k season. actually the 5k is more my type of race. I really don't have the body type for the long stuff, not many slow twitch muscles and my fast twitch muscles that I once had were last seen at a baseball game about 25 years ago. It all goes back to that gene thing.

I figure I have about a year left before runrandall starts coming in ahead of me, so I better enjoy it while it last.

Running is a funny thing, there are good runs like the kind I had Saturday. Then there is the other run. The one you don't want to do. From the start you say why I'm I doing this? Nothing feels right. Your form is out, you can't focus and every little pain finds a home in the center of your mind. You try to trick yourself into thinking it's getting better, but you know it's not.

So we keep on grinding searching for that run... The run we hope will last forever... The run that makes all the ones we hated worth it.... If you're a runner you know what I'm talking about... If you're not, try it and you will see what I mean.

Somedays you eat the bear and somedays the bear eats you. Thats life.

Check out my brother runrandall's blog, He's come a long way in a short time. I think he's lost something like 60lbs since Jan. 1st. A story like his needs to be shared.

See ya on the road, runron

No comments: