Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What's an oppinion worth?

Does it really matter what someone tells you about running. This is what I have read or heard. So which one is right?
After a marathon take a day off for every mile you run... a marathon is 26.2 miles so that means take 26 days off right?... Not so fast long run breath.
After a marathon you should run the next day, just to get the legs loose.. Okay I'm no expert here, but isn't that two completely different things...

Here is another one. After a run take an ice bath to stop swelling in the joints.. Makes sense right?... Try to stay with me... After a run soak in a hot tub too soothe your muscles... What?... What's a runner suppose to do?

How about this one, you can't run a marathon on just 3 runs a week... And then, you can run a marathon on just 3 runs a week, I'm prof of the latter.
I can fill a post full of contradictions on running and who's to say what is right. All I know is that you have to sort through the stuff you think will work for you, and hope it works.

As a seasoned marathoner of one whole marathon under my belt let me say this. I don't care what the experts say. I have to do whats right for me, because I can tell you that my body is a lot different then that of a 25 year old who can run a 6 min. pace for 26.2 miles and I think a lot of us lose site of the fact that we are all different and not just in running....

I don't want to get too deep here, but isn't that what life is about. Finding your own way. Not going with what conventional wisdom tells you to do.... I'm starting to ramble here, so bare with me... What I'm trying to say is be your own person no matter what you hear from the so called experts. Nobody knows you better then you know yourself... Look we all have voices in our head, I'm just the crazy one that lets you hear the voices I hear.... If we all pay attention to the voice within... I think you will find out that it's has a greater knowledge of what you should do then any book or expert can tell you... That applies to running as well as life.

On a lighter note, this Saturday I will be running in the Fish Hawk 10k (that's 6.2 miles) unrunric was concerned that it was too early too run after a marathon, but I feel pretty good except for this toe problem... Speaking of that I actually had this conversation with my wife, You can ask her it's true..(I think it might be a sign I'm into this running thing a little too much)

Here's what I said.. "Do you think it would be alright if I got my 3rd toe cut off?"
She said: "What?"

My reply: "Well, it just sets there, it don't do nothing, except every time I run it hurts. If I get it cut off it wont hurt anymore, problem solved."

She looked at me like I was nuts. Then I said.
"I think Ronnie Lott had his pinky finger cut off so he could play in a football game."
And she says: "What did that get him?"

Proudly I say: "A Super Bowl Ring... he just can't wear it on his pinky."

She walks out of the room shakes her head and says.
"You can cut your toe off when you make it to the Super Bowl."

So I will be practicing my football skills... I think the Bucs have an open tryout in April.
See ya on the road, runron.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think egoron was talking here this day.
I agree with you on you have to do what feels right with a little push from ego from time to time.
What number will you waer as a Buc.
See ya
Randall

Anonymous said...

Do you even have an apendage you haven't complained about?
Should I be a great orator and my tongue hurt each time I speak. Would I orate better tongueless?
But if you would like I have a pair of bolt cutters to do the job on any offending apendage.
I will do it because I'm your brother and I love you. And If you make the bucs I could have free tickets. So lets snip snip.
Unrun