Saturday, January 20, 2007

Fish Hawk 10k

Today I ran the 10th annual Fish Hawk 5 and 10k Road Race. I wasn't the smartest runner on the road today. I went out way too fast, I was 37 seconds ahead of my pace time at mile 1 and it may have cost me a 3rd place finish in my age group. I finished with a 48:00 and came in 4th in ages 40-44. Not bad I guess, but I have to learn how to pace myself. The guy that came in 3rd ran a 7:34 pace and I ran a 7:44 if I'm doing the math right, over 6.2 miles he finished a little over a min. faster then me.
So the first mile killed me- I don't want to make an excuse, but I will anyway. The 5 and 10k start out at the same time, it's a 3.1 mile loop and if you run the 10k you do it twice. Ego Ron blasted out of the gate keeping up with the 5k guys... No I wouldn't listen to any other Ron.- Ego was in full throttle, feeling real good about himself..... Then came mile 3.... Oops... The guys I had been running with peeled off to finish their race...... And Ego Ron had another 3.1 miles to go.... Well I tried to make the best of a bad situation. Mile 5 was the worst, my pace was down to what seemed like a crawl 8:09 which is unacceptable for me on a 10k run. Mile 6 was not much better at a 7:51 pace. I did play a little cat and mouse game with a runner, at about mile 5 and a half I caught this guy (younger then me) we ran side by side..... I could feel he didn't want to make a move ahead too soon, for fear of me passing him at the end.... Thats the same thing I was fearing as well .... So we're running pretending that we don't notice each other.... We get to mile 6 with just two tenths of a mile to go.

And guess who shows up?..... Ego Ron here.... Ego shifts into his classic sprinters form and blows the loser away, thats the way Ego saw it..... I really don't know how much I beat him, but I did have a small victory.... And thats the lesson learned today boys and girls.... pull Ego out when you need him... Not when he needs you...

Here are my split times, my watch is off from the official time of 48:00

Mile 1- 7:08:53
Mile 2- 14:37 (7:28:82)
Mile 3- 22:22 (7:45:62)
Mile 4- 30:17 (7:54:63)
Mile 5- 38:27 (8:09:42)
Mile 6- 46:18 (7:51:38)
Point 2-47:54 (1:36:57)

See ya on the road, runron.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just don't understand that split time stuff. When I stop my watch it stops, so when do you start it again?
And oh............go ego go.
And oh heah go GATORS!