Thursday, January 3, 2008

27 Degrees.... What happened?

As I hunker down, holding a vigil for my Mango tree for the second night in a row, I have a few random thoughts.

Someone left the door open between here and Tennessee. Hey pa Walker, close the door. There's a reason I live in Florida and only visit the great state of Tennessee. Which reminds me.

I'm still not over that marathon, because my big toenail has been slowly dying since I made that ill-fated journey.... Back to the mango tree. It happens every year, some arctic blast wanders down here wreaking havoc on my beloved mango tree. A tree I planted, water, fertilize, and ever so careful, use my weed whacker around.

My first mango tree fell victim to a out of control 14 year old boy, who thought it was a weed. Before that incident, I used to called him son. Now he's his mother's son.

Back to my healthy tree. See, I learned from the past. It was about two years ago, that my mango tree, Buddy. Ok, so I call him Buddy, that's not weird, is it? So Buddy got hurt a few years ago. In fact, I thought I'd lost him. His branches were not recognizable. And his trunk kinda hunched over. Sort of what I look like after a marathon. Anyway, after I had to snipped him nearly to the ground,because of the freeze damage, Buddy bounced back.

I made a promise to him that day. If I get word of some "menacing frost" heading our way, he'd be taken care of, no questions asked.

So yesterday I built Buddy a box. Although, he stands over 7 feet tall and nearly 4 feet wide, he rested comfortably inside a fully insulated box with a cozy light to keep him warm.

You know it's funny, I've had him for about 4 years and he's never produced one mango. Not even a bloom.... I think I'll give him one more season, if there's no fruit, then I'll call my wife's son over to do some weed whacking.

Love is a two way street, Buddy.

As far as my running goes. It's cold, but I have been putting in the mileage, just nothing interesting to write about. But never fear, I have a race in a few weeks and I'm sure something will amuse me.

See ya on the road, runron.

I sure would like to eat a mango this summer.....Who's your buddy, Buddy?

1 comment:

Brian said...

Ron,

You're a funny man.

You got me in stitches.

Buddy I love mangos, come on man you're 4, its time to get going. It would be in your best intrest to start making mangos, capiche.

-b