Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You'd Think

You'd think after running over 638 miles this year, which is to the Georgia State Line and back (almost, just about, but not quite). I'd be used to running....So why does a simple 6 mile run and only 4 of them hard...Kill me?

They say, you start to go crazy just before collapsing from heat exhaustion...Well today I was a raving lunatic by the time I hit mile 3... Back up to this weekend, I ran 17 of the most beautiful miles, by keeping a 9:36 pace, although my training plan called for a 9:45 pace. I was Barny Fife after that run, strutting around all puffed up like I just caught Mayberry's most wanted.

Well, after todays run, just like Barny, I had one bullet in the chamber and I shot it Sunday, leaving nothing but a clicking sound as I pulled the trigger.

This is the life of a old man trying to run a young mans game... So I'm sitting here between a 17 mile run last week and a 20 miler this weekend...And wondering if walking a tempo run counts, I mean I did get the miles in right?

I need to go now... A pain is shooting down my left arm and the screen looks a little fuzzy....someones at the door, he's dressed in black with some sort of hood around his face, looks to be a skeletal figure and he's carrying a large scythe... I wonder what he wants.... He calling me over, better go check it out.

See ya on the other side of the road, runron

3 comments:

Brian said...

Hi Ron,

It’s Brian from GeorgiaRuns.com, I was just checking in on you training and I see you post about the Reaper coming for you. You’re too funny, but I have to say I have been feeling the same way. I live in the Atlanta area and we have been having feels like temps around 105. It sounds like you having the same issues as me.:)

I have no answers for you, but misery loves company.

9:30 miles, sounds like you’re ripping it up.

Stay healthy,

-Brian

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Ron,
You are too funny, though I know you ain't always laughin'. Good Barney Fife analogy, though sometimes when I get done with running I feel more like Otis. Or Opie after he ate all those apples.

Anyway, I hate to say it, but the older you (and I) get the more you have really great days and just as many really bad days (as opposed to lots of OK days). Must come with the territory. And I've got a 20 miles scheduled for Sunday, and I'm wondering if my legs are going to show up. Well, showing up is important, but I sure wish I knew they'd be up for it in advance, too.

Otherwise, hang in there with that heat, I don't know how you do it (unless you run really, really early). Well, you do the best you can, and that's better than a lot of folks...

Oh, and I liked the 'key' story. You're not borrowing my car!

- R

Ron said...

Richard,
Thanks as always for your articulate comment. Although you run a pace I'm not familiar with, it's comforting to know you guys struggle with the same stuff us hackers do.

You know, if we don't laugh at ourselves, we'd probably take Barney's one bullet and end it all.
Of course I like the slow death, one mile at at time... The slow brutal death of a 20 mile run.

six o'clock is early for me, but not early enough to beat the heat, so I grin and bear it... I do get to see the sun rise... So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Hope your 20 went well.
Mine? well not so good, when I recover I'll post....
-Ron