Saturday, April 28, 2007

In My Day- A Dash Was 100 Yards



It was a day of P.R.'s... A day of sweat..
And a day I didn't think would happen.... About 20 hours before the Draft Dash, I was minding my own
business installing a counter top....
(This is why I don't like to work)...
When out of nowhere my back went out... This is the 2nd time in three weeks this has happened.

Just to catch you up, when this happened in the old days, (about 2 or 3 times a year) I would be flat on my back for a day or two. Then a few days of slow walking before I was back to normal.

The new and improved runron's back has not gone out in two years, until 3 weeks ago! At least now when it happens, I'm not flat on my back. It's a somewhat manageable pain... But I do walk funny... That's what people say.... I think I'm walking fine, but the first thing someone says... "Oh, hurt your back?"... So I guess it shows.

Back to yesterday, (insert joke here)... (see, I said back to yesterday... forget it) Panic set in about 10:30... I can't believe this is happening... I have been looking forward to this race since last year.... My goal? to finish in the top 100.... There are about 1,500 to 1,600 hundred runners... I didn't count them, that's what the lady at registration said... So finishing in the top 100 would be quit a thrill for old runron.. I was feeling the thrill is gone... there is no way I can run tomorrow.... Goodbye top 100... I'll show up, maybe jog it in... I mean, just being part of an event is enough.... Right?....

WRONG.... I was steamed, I went to bed steamed and I woke-up steamed.
4:45 a.m... I get out of bed... This is not good.... O.K. all I need to do is loosen up a bit.... I'll put on my shoes, go out side and see how it feels to run a little bit..... I know I'm in trouble when I can't get my socks on... This is not good... After about 5 min. of meditation and some teeth grinding, I got my socks on..... Now I'm staring at my shoes.... This is not good... I don't want to make a long story longer, so lets just say I'm finally out the door... And this is not good... Every step of an light jog brings pain down my spine.... I'M STEAMED.

The only thing I know to do is put on a back brace and hope for the best... Swing by runrandall's house and he limps to the car..... We look like two guys who need to go to the emergency room.... Not a race.

runrandell has been bothered by a bad ankle for sometime, so this was nothing new to him... The conversation centered on pain the whole drive.... Imagine two old lady's in a car for an hour... That's what you would have heard.

When we arrive there is no relief... We decide to run around and see how we feel... I can say this, the pain was the same if I ran slow or fast... runrandall felt better when he got loose..

On the way to the starting line, who did we see?.... Eddie, yes... Yes it's true.... We exchange pleasantries.... And my back is starting to feel better (not really)

Show-time... The few seconds before any race, seem to last forever... You try to focus, clear your head and think about breathing.... I'm by runrandall and Eddie is a little bit ahead of me, but I can see him.... "If only I had a healthy back" I thought as the gun went off.

The body is an incredible machine... I wouldn't believe what I'm about to say, except it happened to me... I felt no pain.... Let me repeat.... I was running with no, none, not a bit of pain.... Unbelievable... 3 hours ago, I was thinking I would have to mail it in... Now I'm running the pace of my life....

The mind is running... The body is just along for the ride... Where's Eddie? I've lost him in a sea of runners... I guess he off on a fast pace. Oh well, he's not my concern today.

Mile one check watch... 6:11 pace... Slow down boy, you're out too fast.... Back is feeling great... Everything else is starting to hurt.... I did something stupid... I was so concerned about my back, I didn't take in any fluids the previous hour and it was starting to show...

About that time I feel someone close to me... I was picking up a vibe from another runner, I could not see him, but I knew he was there... Finally he makes his move.... "Eddie".. Right by me is Eddie... The man I have made my enemy, the evil one... And he's passing me.... Don't panic, just stay on his heels and take it home.... One problem, his heels are running away from me...

As Eddie slowly drifted out of view... I shouted in my head, "This isn't over Eddie, I get you one day. You try running with a back brace on!" But that's no excuse, my back felt fine... I was just running out of gas and I needed water.... I use to laugh at people getting water on a 5k run... Today they can laugh at me, I need sweet relief in the form of H2O.

This is going on too long, so let me cut to the chase.
I made it.. Not only did I have a P.R. I came in 91st making my goal of top 100.
runrandall had a P.R. as well

We had a nice talk about our race in the E.R.

See ya on the road, runron

2 comments:

Runrandall said...

It looks like someone may be making a trip to the ER. I hope not.
I'm praying for you.

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Almost two weeks later... congratulations on the PR! at the expense of a bad back, but at least you showed it who's boss. And nice going on hitting your goal, top 100 isn't easy.

Hope it's better by now... my philosophy is always 'run more, feel better', but what do I know. Well, I would've run that race, too. Congratulations go out to ego ron as well...