Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's Official

Last week I signed up for the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon Hopefully all will go well over the next 7 months or I'll be out 40 bucks... I hit 44 this week, which means not only am I an old guy.... But I'm the oldest age in my running bracket (40-44)... I have one year left to try to keep up with the young whippersnappers in my age group.... The good news is next year I will be the young whippersnapper in the 45-50 group.... It really didn't hit me until I just read what I wrote... I am a year away from competing against 50 year old's!.... WHAT..... ME?... I don't feel so good.

Maybe I should go back to the couch and junk food.... Is there an age group for power T.V. watching and marathon Big Mac eating?

I've been checking out times of the older gentlemen and it is no picnic... I got a lot of work to do... No rest for the weary... I feel like all my runs are speed work, This Furman First 5k plan is brutal... I can see the improvement in my times, but every run is a push.... I'm looking forward to marathon training and going out for some long slower runs... Ya know 4 hours is a long time to do anything... Let alone running... But then again time is relative and the body can adapt to do amazing things... If we give it a chance... Find out what you like to do. And do it with passion... You might be surprised by the outcome...

I don't want to say this... But here it goes.... It has been 4 months since I've had an injury... Let me back up... A running injury... I sit here with a sharp pain going through my back... Not from running... No.. I could accept that.. What is so stupid about it.... It was a simple act of bending over... Not even a twisted awkward bend... Nope, just a little forward motion from the hips up... And BOOM.... Nearly brought me to my knees... Nothing makes you feel older then to walk hunched over looking at your shoes... Kinda makes me yearn for the day I'm in the 80 to 84 age group... And when I get there, I can assure you I will be gunning for those 90 year olds... Look out boys... old man runron is coming for you.... Now thats a scary sight...

See ya on the road, runron

No comments: