Sunday, July 22, 2007

Yasso 880's

How I spent my summer vacation.... Or who is Yasso and why does it matter?
Some of you know the theory behind the Yasso 800s and I want to be a believer as well... To my non-running friends, Bart Yasso came up with a plan to predict your marathon time by how fast you run 10- 800s, with a 400 recovery between each.... Oh yeah, a 800 is twice around a track and a 400 is once. Now everyone is up yo speed.

Speaking of speed, I ran the last 800 in 3:31.... In July.... in the heat.... In Florida.... Which was in the 90 degree range..... And don't forget the humidity.

Perhaps you're thinking 3:31 big deal... Well, Mr. Yasso says that would be a 3 hour and 31 minute marathon.... Now I know this sounds good on paper and who knows what will happen when the rubber meets the road... But, a 3:31 marathon would shatter my first and only marathon time of 4:18.... So I got that going for me, which is nice.

In 16 weeks it will be November... In the cool... In Tennessee .... Which will be in the 50 to 60 degree range..... And don't forget no humidity.... Or should I say humility.

3:31 won't get me to Boston, but it might make the trip back home a little sweeter, which is nice.

See ya on the road, runron.

One more thing... Send out some running vibes to runrandall, who is in Kuwait... His marathon training starts this week as well... Let's all hope he can find a desert somewhere to run in, I'd hate to think I'm the only one training in the heat.... There I go again.. making this about me.

Get back soon runrandall, and see ya in the desert.

4 comments:

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

OK, I trained for a marathon once by incorporating Yasso 800s. My experience:

First off, when you get to the point where you're doing six or more at a time, it kicks your ass. Not news to you, but just be mentally ready. Also, I would bring a counter with me to the track or course because I would forget how many I'd done after a while. I began to think that my subconscious was overcounting the number of 800s so I could go home sooner. Not good.

After a season of 800s, I ran the marathon, my second. I know I was faster than before, but don't let the 800 time dictate your pace! Bottom line, I ran way too fast and had to walk at different points on the course. I was hating life. So train with Mr. Yasso's 800s, just don't make yourself stick to a 3:31 finish time pace the whole way, run at a pace that feels right. Makes sense, but just remember that your pace can vary. Just look at the training as making you faster and not necessarily a predictor of finish time since there are so many other variables on race day.

Runrandall said...

Hey I'm here in the desert and I have not benn able to run outside yet. They don't take to kindly for you to wear shorts outside so I could run in my Khakis except now the dust is so bad it gets in your lungs and you can't breathe.
So all my training right now is on the eilliptical and tread mill and pool.

Ron said...

Thanks for your input, yeah it's hard to keep track of 10- 800s, but luckily for me (or not) my watch has a lap counter. I kept thinking it was my last one, only to look at my Timex a find the sad truth.

I'm taking the 3:31 thing with a grain of salt. Any time under 4 hours I'll be happy with. 3:59:59 sounds good.

As you know, Yasso is a tough workout sans the heat, add it and you scream for your mommy.

But we always survive, and keep coming back for more... Why do we do that?
Ron

Ron said...

Cranky Runner, The above is meant for you. I forgot to address you.
Sorry, please forgive.

The heat has broken my mind.