Monday, October 29, 2007

The Long and Winding Road.

With taper in full bore, I write these words... Due to unrelated running issues, my time in front of this computer has been limited. Hopefully it will change soon.

Taper time is alway greeted with relief and fear. Most of the hard miles are in the stable and the horse has been hosed down.(relief). However, it brings on a different set of circumstances. (fear).

Am I ready for 26.2? I'm sure this goes through the minds of all middle-of-the-packers. Did I train hard enough? What about that Tuesday 8 weeks ago, when training called for a 6 mile tempo at a 7:29 pace, and I ran a blistering 8:02? Or the 20 miler when I could only muster up a weak 18 miles? How about the cross-training days, when I either skipped a workout altogether, or made a flimsy half-hearted attempt, just to say "I did it"?

Point is--I feel I'm not ready for this marathon... Oh I'll run it, but my goal of under 4 hours looks bleak. 4 hours is a long time to do anything... A football game last under 4 hours... A double feature at the movies, is under 4 hours... The time between breakfast and lunch is about 4 hours.... A nap on the couch is 4 hours (I take long naps).... Woman having conversations on cell phones while driving last... wait, that's more than 4 hours... But you get my point, 4 hours is a long time to run.

So while most sane people will be watching football games, movies, waiting for lunch to arrive, taking naps, and talking on cell phones. Old runron will be out putting one foot in front of the other, convincing myself I'm having a good time.

Well friends, time is short, and my ego is getting shorter as the seconds click off the big clock to the right.

Maybe a miracle will happen, and I can join my friend, Rob Henderson in Boston for some race he's all worked up about. But that's another day in another story.

See ya on the road, runron.

1 comment:

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Easy for me to say, Ron, but don't look back, look forward. Under four hours? I'd say 'you can do it' and mean it, but only you know that, and only on race day.

Give it all you've got, and if it's your last marathon, make it count whatever that means to you.

Only a few days left... go get 'em.