Saturday, May 12, 2007

Smoke Gets In My Eyes

I got the news yesterday.... Oh boy. The Miles for Moffitt five miler was cancelled... I guess when there is so much smoke in the air, what were they supposed to do? ... A fund raiser for cancer research would look silly having runners gag and cough their way over the finish line.

The Florida drought has cost me a green yard and dying landscape... Not to mention this area is a powder keg, waiting for some idiot to throw a cigarette down and start an inferno that will affect my home or yours.... Now it's really getting frustrating.... It's affecting my Hobby... My passion.... My reason to live... (Okay, that's a little over the top).... My races.

It seems the fires in Georgia are the cause of the smoke and ashes falling in my neighborhood... My neighborhood is a good 200 miles away... What's a runner to do?

I've said in the past, I'm not a very smart man... If you follow this blog I'm sure you agree... But the other day the news said to avoid outside activities, due to health concerns over the air quality... Ego Ron had to get a run in... One more time... EGO RON had to get a run in... I mean the wildlife are not staying inside... I see birds, squirrels, dogs, cats, all outside doing activities and they are not dropping dead... And my lungs are bigger, right?..

So off I go for a quick 5 miler... felt pretty good.... For the first 3 miles... Why are my lungs burning?... As I stepped over a dead bird on the side of the road.... Uh-oh!

I later heard on the radio, that running in this stuff for a half hour is like smoking a pack of cigarettes.

I'm going out for a long run... Anybody got a Marlborough?
See ya on the smoky road, runron.

2 comments:

Runrandall said...

I heard that pot ash is good for your grass so we are getting some benefit from the fires.
Oh and I'm out of smokes sorry.
runrandall

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Dead bird on the side of the road, huh? Sounds like some Stephen King novel about a runner who kept going after civilization breaks down, and finding 'dead things' in odd places.

Well, I'd probably be running in the smoke, too. Something about 'what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger', or something like that. I hope the smoke has started to go away by now, though...